Monday, August 10, 2009

The 90 degree SPAD

August 5, 2009 we met at Kevin's airfield. the weather was perfect, warm and low wind. Jerry brought a couple of friends and buddy boxed them on his SPAD. Jerry did some amazing stuff with the SPAD but eventually ended up where all good airplanes end up, in the wheat field. After a horrific sounding crash, this was the result.

I flew my F-4 Phantom, and did an experiment with the Superstar. A gyro was added for additional stability in the ailerons and the test was an amazing success! The gyro reduced the tendency of this pane to tip stall on landings and as a result I had a very stable landing in low wind.

The evening was coming to an end and I decided to take the slow-stick up. After all what could happen? I plugged in the battery and checked the controls only to discover that things were not quite right. It was then I realized I had the Tigermoth model selected on my radio. What would be the prudent thing to do at this point? Unplug the battery and switch the model in the radio of course. What did I do? Left the battery plugged in and started switching through the models on my radio. Apparently one was selected that had the throttle channel reversed and the Slow-stick went full throttle, running into Jerry's Twist which was parked on the runway. It was a horrible sound but to our surprise there was no damage to either plane. Looks like I got away with that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment